Entrepreneurs, bring your business savvy to the table for the third annual EDC Launch San Juan Islands business plan competition, brought to you by the San Juan County Economic Development Council.
Participants will receive instruction in planning and marketing, follow-up mentoring—and some will win cash prizes to launch their businesses!
Thousands of dollars in cash prizes will be awarded to contest winners this year. Our bigger goal, however, is to help every entrepreneur involved in the contest to advance or improve their business.
The biggest benefit is that participants get the counsel and support they need to get their businesses off to a strong start. The contest is designed to help all participants even if they don’t advance to become finalists.
Our objective is to promote the creation of new businesses in San Juan County, in a way that provides integral help and small financial assistance to the best of those small businesses.
With access to in-depth business seminars and counseling to everyone in the contest, all participants should gain traction with their enterprises and learn what it takes to launch a successful business.
Benefits for All Participants
- Seminars on business planning, marketing, and financing.
- Opportunities to network and collaborate with other entrepreneurs.
- Media coverage for contestants.
Benefits for Winners
- All of the above, plus
- Cash prizes.
- Professional advice from team of experts.
- Follow-up help sessions with experts in finance, marketing, and other business topics.
- Feedback on plans submitted by at least five judges with practical business experience.
- Significant publicity for your business through local media and other channels.
How it Works
- Participants must be residents of San Juan County and the business must be for-profit.
- Participants attend classes and tutoring sessions that help them develop their business plans.
- Plans are submitted to judges who evaluate each enterprise.
- Participants with the highest scores move on through the next stage of the contest over the following two months.
- Prize money will be awarded in two stages, the second half after the successful completion of key milestones.
- The contest features a pitch-your-business trade show and a final oral presentation round.
- Winners are announced at a gala awards banquet in November.
Launch San Juan Islands will start in September 2017 and run through early November 2017. The cost to participate is $65 by the early fee deadline (September 18), $85 after. This fee covers direct costs for course materials and events.
Questions? Please contact the EDC at 360-378-2906 or email@example.com.