Navigate the Regulations
Doing business in the state of Washington does include some bureaucratic requirements with various government agencies. In your previous legal, accounting and insurance consulting, you should find out what regulations are required for your particular type of business. You can also check the State of Washington website for more information.
Regulations can take the form of licenses or permits to operate your business, registering with an agency responsible for your type of business, collecting and/or paying taxes, payroll taxes and reporting, and regulatory record keeping and reporting. In any case, you will first need to register your business with the State of Washington.
Following are some links that might assist you in researching regulatory requirements:
Town of Friday Harbor
Town of Friday Harbor: Doing Business in Friday Harbor – Facts, forms and requirements for opening a business in Friday Harbor. http://www.fridayharbor.org/about the town/doing_business.html
San Juan County
San Juan County: the San Juan County web site for online information. http://www.co.san-juan.wa.us
- Washington State: The state requires that you get a state business license called a MASTER BUSINESS LICENSE and assigns a Unified Business Identifier (UBI).
- Doing Business in Washington State – Access Washington. Everything you need to know about doing business in Washington State. access.wa.gov/business
- Washington State Department of Licensing – Business license application information. http://www.dol.wa.gov/business
- Guide for Small Businesses in Washington State – State programs and assistance for small business. http://www.cted.wa.gov
- Washington Department of Revenue – www.dor.wa.gov
- Washington Department of Labor and Industries – www.ini.wa.gov
- Washington Employment Security Department – www.wa.gov/esd
US Federal Government
- Internal Revenue Service – http://www.irs.gov
- Social Security Administration – http://www.ssa.gov/svcs.htm